MA_Marlins Online Squadron

Relocated
It is currently 22 Apr 2018 23:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: CoD - Avoid...
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2011 22:28 
>500

Seriously, huge disappointment. You'd expect improvements, which you get here and there, but the game is just broken!

Post subject: Re: CoD - Avoid...
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2011 11:57 
>500

we waiting 2 weeks for a patch then?
In what way is it broken?

Shame, I've just bought a new card from OCUK to play it on.
Guess, unless thats what the online community move towards, we will be sticking to the new patches for 1946?

Considering how long we've been waiting for this to come out, if it's a big flop, is there any danger that this will kill the community off?

EDIT:

Seems that nobody has given it a blazing score, even if they've got anything positive to say about it.

http://www.lockonfiles.com/index.php/topic/36031-il-2-cliffs-of-dover-review/

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/il-2-sturmovik-cliffs-of-dover

Problem is IL2 has such a large part in my gaming history, along with CS, I'll still have to go out and get it, preferably in collectors edition as well.
:bob:

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2011 19:55 
>1000

*sigh*

Great advice nuts, really great advice. [/sarcasm]

Yes, it's broken. So was IL2 when it came out. So was FB. So was PF.

Don't avoid, just have patience. Plenty of people have got it running at good frame rates and have posted videos and screenshots to show how it is better than 1946.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2011 08:58 
>1000

try ARMA 2 for broken... and amazing...

fucking thing did my head in for a whole year... truly awesome, immersive experience.. that juddered and shuddered like hell all the time you played it.

Genius interspersed with rubbish code.

I had to give up as my life just aint empty enough to spent hours getting it to work.

If CoD is like that, sadly, I'm with Nut's on this as I simply don't have life bandwidth to deal with it.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2011 18:40 
>500

MA_Zak33 wrote:
try ARMA 2 for broken... and amazing...

fucking thing did my head in for a whole year... truly awesome, immersive experience.. that juddered and shuddered like hell all the time you played it.

Genius interspersed with rubbish code.

I had to give up as my life just aint empty enough to spent hours getting it to work.

If CoD is like that, sadly, I'm with Nut's on this as I simply don't have life bandwidth to deal with it.

Good call mate. I've played ARMA II a few times (did you ever play operation arrowhead?). I can forgo the headaches and pick it up at bargain price later on I think.

Word of warning, getting a refund from steam is bloody hard work!

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2011 01:43 
>1000

ARMA2 is simply awesome. I have over 200hours clocked up in it, and nearly 700 hours in ARMA1. Both are very difficult to compare to any of the IL2 franchise.. they are base engines that the community write scripts for to make campaigns and missions, as well as plently of extra things - even weapons and vehicles. The stock stuff is merely something to demo the engine.

Bohemia Interactive are not the same as Oleg and his crew. Oleg fixes things. Might take time, but he fixes them. BI don't.

The first patch came out today for IL2:CoD btw...

PostPosted: 30 May 2011 19:27 
>500

Reckon I'll get this for my birthday in a couple of weeks.
PC's been rebuilt to tackle it, and I'm on the lookout for a new 19" LCD screen to replace the old 17" CRT.

Anyone else got hold of it yet?
And is it patched yet?

Edit: just seen the previous post.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011 14:06 
>1000

It's been patched several times now. It's different to '46. Flight and engine models are a lot more complex.

But having said all that, I've not played it much at all. Too busy with race sims and having just got back from a two week trip to Turkey. :)

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2011 09:24 
>500

OK so CoD is wrapped up and hidden away around the house somewhere and I've invested in a new 22" lcd to replace the 17" crt....

Roll on the weekend.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011 18:00 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Birthday present ?

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2011 20:33 
>500

yup,

Installed and just figuring out the configs.

Initial thoughts are:
Pity it's got to run through steam.
Hyperlobby isn't running it yet either.
Wow Gfx are something else. Crashed into a load of trees trying to takeoff, but see those trees blowing in the breeze....
Config is not standard as per IL2 1946, so I've got to redo the X52 config.
Runs OK with 2GB RAM with an occasional stall, though intending to upgrade it to 6 once Crucial RMA the stuff I ordered.
Wow Gfx.
Full realism is an nightmare. You properly need checklists. Remember to turn the fuel on?
Glad I got the 22" monitor, though feel a little conned as screen height for a 22" is the virtually the same as a 17" 4:3 version, so you get a wider view but for the same height.
Wow Gfx.
Running through the training flights, got to chuckle at some of the grammar, can tell that the Russians are still at the centre of developing it.
Also on the training flights, you have to fly through these rings as they lead you through takeoff landing etc. They can be a bit small and difficult to spot from within the cockpit. The instructor gets a bit narky with you as you fly around looking for these things....
As you hover the mouse over the controls in the cockpit, you get a hint box with it name and what setting it's on.
Wow Gfx.
Campaign mode has a nice immersive storyline with separate stories should you fail or pass a mission. Not too glorified which is nice too.

Not got the gfx wound up fully, just accepted what it set. will play with it later.

Running it on a E5200 CPU @2.5Ghz, 2 GB ECZ 6400 RAM, HD5840 Gfx at standard.

I don't know whether the last couple of patches have helped, or the fact that I'm using a specifically supported card, but I wouldn't call the game broken, though I've not tried online play or seriously tested it all out yet.

Watch this space.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012 00:48 
>500

I'm a bit late to this thread, but is CoD still an avoid? I've invested in a new rig (with 6MB Ram, and a 1GB graphics) and I'm wondering what to run on it, besides 1946. A lot of the negative reviews on Amazon seem to come from flyers who arrived on the IL2 scene late, with 1946, and so didn't go through the years of bug and patch pain. Also, does this still have to run via Steam? I hate Steam!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012 01:23 
>1000

Why would you spend money on a 1Gb gfx card but only have 6Mb ram, thats just asking for trouble chap ;)

I've never played COD tbh, infact dont think I've flown more than twice since the LAN at Zaks a few years back..

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012 16:12 
>500

Trig wrote:
Why would you spend money on a 1Gb gfx card but only have 6Mb ram, thats just asking for trouble chap ;)

:lol: :lol: I'm clearly stuck in a mid 90's time warp, 32 Mb of Ram anybody? Yes, of course, 6Gb.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012 16:57 
>500

I've got 6 Gb RAM, but unfortunately only the 32 version of win7, so only 3 and a bit get used... Doh.

I've got CoD, and I like it.
It's as steep as a learning curve as IL2 was when it first came out, so might be too much of a proper sim for the arcadians out there. but us lot ought to look at it more closely.

tbh, running it out of steam takes all the fun of patching it out. It patches and I don't even notice.
It is quite heavy though. Just getting the HOTAS and trackir setup again was a pain and I'm not flying enough to get that familiar with the controls.

It's trying to get online that I struggle with. Hyperlobby has not picked up CoD yet, and I can't find any online battles built around it either, though not looked for a few months.
I keep hoping that it'll pick up though. Still get a kick out of flying the single player missions.